Saturday, February 18, 2006

KLCC RUN ON 3 NOVEMBER 2005 BY LIM FANG HAU (POSTED ON PM 1 BLOG ON 5/11/2005)

Running on the first day of Eid ul-Fitr reminded me of my first 30 km run in 2004. At that time I managed to complete 30.1 km in 3 hr 40 min by using Galloway method of running with 9 minutes of running and 1 minute of walking break. From then onwards, I had the motivation to run a full marathon which I managed to complete for the first time in the KLIM 2005.
This year I intended to improve further by running a minimum of 39 km in KLCC (equivalent to 30 laps). I started the run at 9.45 am. My pace was even slower than the pace I used in Songkhla 2005 marathon. Timing was not my concern as I wanted to add on more mileage and get used to running under the hot sun for the coming Singapore marathon. I also wanted to get rid of my addiction to listening to MP3 player and adjust myself in running round the loops. I always find myself having difficulty in concentrating my run around the loops.
For the first 16 laps, I did not encounter any problem at all. My split timing was around 2 hr 28 min +. After lap 16, I started to feel dehydrated. I had to sponge myself every lap. I took my Powergel supply at lap 20. At lap 24 my knees started to feel the cramp. I should have applied the deep heat rub at the beginning of the run and not when I start to feel the pain. I had no choice but to apply the deep heat rub on my knees. My split timing after completing 24 laps was around 3 hours 50 min +. After lap 24, my pace began to slow down and I had to jog at a slower pace. At lap 26, after running for more than 4.5 hours, my body started to feel giddy and I could not even walk. My body condition was low in salt and sugar. I had to rest on the bench for half an hour before continuing my run. When I resumed my run, I could not run at my usual slow pace. I had to walk and run for a lap before continuing for the remaining 3 laps. At lap 29 and 30, I finally found my rhythm of running and I continued my usual running pace. After lap 30, I decided to call it a day as I found no point for me to go or another 3 laps as my body condition was not that good.I finished the 30 laps in 5 hr 51 min 22.46 sec. Although my timing was not that good, I still managed to improve my distance as compared to last year (30 km at Lake Garden) and kicking off my addiction to MP3 player when running. I also managed to focus myself better when running round the loops.
Some interesting facts about the run:
1. One day before the run, I did not have much carbo loading dinner. I had my usual dinner.
2. Before the run on Thursday, I did a 30 km run at Cameron Highlands with my relative. The run started from Brinchang Town up to Mt. Brinchang and return via the same route (24 km) and running around Strawberry Park for 6 km.
3. The day after the hardcore 30 km run, I did a recovery run with my relative for 6.5 km.
4. On Tuesday, I went to Mt. Datuk in Negeri Sembilan for a mountain climbing trip with Steven Ng, friend of PM 37 (Ng Ping Loong) and Penguin 3 (Tony Quay) and Penguin 6 (Terrence Leong). The trip was well organised with 17 climbers.
5. I only had a day of rest on Wednesday (my working day) before running in KLCC on Thursday.
6. I experienced sun burn on my skin as I ran under the hot sun in KLCC.7. I lost 3 water bottles as they were stolen from the starting point after I completed 28 laps.
At the point of writing (5/11/2005) my total mileage is 93.5 km. I may consider running in KLCC again for more laps in the future but my starting time will be 5 to 6 am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home