Friday, February 17, 2006

PJ HALF MARATHON – 18/9/2005 BY LIM FANG HAU (POSTED ON PM 25 BLOG ON 19/9/2005)

This was my improved race as compared to last year. Last year, I missed the certificate by 40 seconds. My timing was 2 hr 15 min 40 sec. The actual distance was 19.5km. This year, the distance is 21km based on the survey of the route done on Friday. I started the race with my brand new running vest (“SAFRA running vest”). Some of the familiar running friends were surprise to see me wearing the new running vest and thinking that I am from Singapore. I am a Malaysian. Actually, I really like the SAFRA running vest very much especially the colour of the vest which is very bright. I also like the SAFRA running club. One day, if I have a chance to work in Singapore, I’ll definitely join the SAFRA running club.My first 12km timing split was 1 hr 6 min +. Before reaching 12km mark, the runners had to run under heavy rain. The rain slowed down my pace but I managed to maintain my pace. I had to push myself harder in order to maintain the same pace. I was wearing my Adidas control shoe. I could feel the weight when running under heavy rain. My timing split for 16km was 1 hr 30 min+. Before reaching the 16km mark, at the 12 km mark, I was running an average of 5 min+ pacing per km. I was trying to overtake one of the SAFRA runners who are running quite fast. Suddenly, I started to feel something wrong on my left leg. My leg was about to cramp. I decided to run at a relaxed pace. I could have pushed my self too hard in order to maintain the same pace under the heavy rain condition. After running at a relaxed pace, everything was fine to me until the16km mark. From 16km mark onwards, I started to slow down. At 18km mark, I had to stop for sponging and walked for 10 seconds before continuing my slow run. Approximately 1 km before the finishing line, I had do walk and run. There were many runners overtaking me. Upon entering the stadium with 300 metres to go, I sprinted towards the finishing line. I finished my run in 2 hr 8 min 45.61 sec in 175th position under suffering condition. My legs were pain as I had to bear the pain from 18km mark onwards towards the finishing line. I was surprised that I could get a medal as my timing was not fast to get a medal under this race. Many top runners must have skipped this run for unknown reason. My timing was considered normal to me under the raining condition.Overall, the race was well organised with sufficient sponging and refreshment station. I enjoyed the race although my pace was slowed by the raining condition. With the presence of SAFRA runners, this race had become more exciting. I do hope that I’ll be able to improve my timing next year. On average my pacing per km as 5 min+ until 16km and 7 min+ for the last 5km. My overall pacing per km was 6 min 7 sec+. For your information, SAFRA is Singapore Armed Forces Reservist Association. For your information, SAFRA is a running club in Singapore. This club had on 11 September 2005 organised the Sheares Bridge Run and Army Half Marathon attracting more than 5,000 participants. Finally, I would like to apologise to the Pacesetters members if you are offended by my presence in SAFRA running vest. I would like to clarify that I am still a Pacesetters member although I run with SAFRA running vest. We must promote running to the Singaporeans. I do hope that there will be more SAFRA runners coming down next year to make this event more competitive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home