Saturday, February 11, 2006

IPOH INTERNATIONAL RUN 2005 by LIM FANG HAU @ PM 23 (Posted on PM 1 Blog on 11/7/2005)

2004 = Did not finish. Collapsed at 19 km mark in front of Greentown Mall due to severe cramp on both my calves muscle. Had to be carried by ambulance to the finishing line. (1st half marathon since running seriously in 2004)
2004 Singapore Marathon (21.5 km): 2 hr 16 min 20 sec (Gun time) / 2 hr 16 min 11 sec (Chip time)
2005 Ipoh International Run 21km: 2hr 00 min 27 sec (New PR)
This was my best half marathon so far in 2005. I managed to finish the race with a new personal record as compared to last year being a non-finisher. In fact this race I was forced to run fast to qualify for the certificate. The organiser had risen the qualifying time for the half marathon from 2 hr 30 min in 2004 to 2 hr in 2005. Initially, I was doubt whether I can qualify for the certificate.The race started at 7 am. As usual I ran with my pouch and MP3 player as this gadget provided some inspiration and motivation for me to keep on running. The route used was similar to the one used last year. I had the advantage as I knew where exactly I should pace myself.My timing split for the first 4km was 20 min +. By 10km my timing split was 53 min +. At that time, I thought I had a chance to run below sub 2 hr to qualify for the certificate. By 1 hr I managed to run more than 11 km but less than 12 km. I continued with my usual fast pace like I used in short distance races. By 15 km mark, my timing split was 1 hr 22 min +. After 17 km mark my legs were beginning to feel a little tired and this slow down my pace. I tried to run faster but could not push myself faster.Before approaching the 19 km marker, I told my self that I should be able to get passed this painful and horrible distance marker (the spot where I collapsed last year). At 19 km mark, I ran passed this distance marker. I was very confident that I could finish the race in a good timing. Closing to 20 km mark, I felt very dehydrated due to the blazing sun. Luckily, there was a final water station and I drank a cup of plain water before continuing my run. At that time, I was chasing after the time as I knew that the 2 hr qualifying mark was getting closer. My right legs were beginning to cramp. This again reduced my pace. I had no choice but to continue to fight with the time constraint until the end. As I was approaching the finishing line with 500 metres to go, I could not bear the pain and I just continued running and sprinting at my fastest pace until the end. With 100 metres before the finishing line, I could not bear the pain and I screamed like a person was being chased by a dog and continued sprinting until the finishing line and overtaking 3 runners slowing down at towards the finishing line.Finally, I managed to cross the finishing line in 2 hr 00 min 27 sec and my position was 112th out of 300+ runners. I had to stop abruptly and lied down on the ground for a while at the finishing line as I could not run anymore. Later, when I stand up and walk, I felt the pain on my buttock due to stopping abruptly at the finishing line. This pain lasted for a while.I was happy that I managed to accomplish my mission of finishing this half marathon and creating a new personal best. Overall, the run is reasonably organised. There were 4 water stations and 3 sponging station. One thing lacking in this run was the absence of isotonic drink. It would be better if the organiser could provide the isotonic drink to runners as we really need this drink in order to replenish our energy level after running certain distance.I really enjoyed running in Ipoh as the morning scenery was scenic as I could observe the scenic sunrise. One thing I have to be honest to myself is that, I should not get the medal and certificate as I took extra 27 sec to complete the race. If the organiser were really strict in imposing the regulations (like PJ Half Marathon: I missed the certificate by 40 sec), I would have come home empty handed for the second time and many runners would also suffer the same fate like me.Overall, I am not satisfied with what I had achieved in Ipoh as I considered myself failing to qualify for the certificate. I shall be back next year with my vengeance mission of running below 2 hr to qualify for the certificate.