Thursday, February 09, 2006

SINGAPORE MARATHON 2004 - by LIM FANG HAU (POSTED ON PM 25 BLOG ON 12/12/2004)

This is my third half marathon. My aim for this race is to set a new PR. I actually do not have a PR for my half marathon. I could not even finish my first half marathon in Ipoh this year. I collapsed at the 19 km due to muscles cramp on my calf. The second half marathon in PJ this year, I managed to finish 40 seconds after the qualifying time of 2 hour 15 minutes but the actual distance was only 19.5 km, 1.5 km short of the actual half marathon distance.

I managed to complete it with a new PR. The half marathon started at 6.30am. with more than 2,000 runners at the Esplanade Bridge. The running route was quite new to me as this was my first time running the half marathon route. There were markers for every kilometre. There were isotonic drinks after the 4 km marker and for every 6 km isotonic drinks were available to runners. Mineral water was available after the first 4 km at 2 km interval.

Along the way during the first 10 km I met some of the full marathoners like Penguin 2 and Penguin 6. Most of the full marathoners were running back to the Esplanade Bridge via the opposite direction. Something special about this race was that cheer teams were there to motivate you to run. This is something absent in the local runs that I have participated. My 10 km split timing was 61 minutes. I was using a 6 minutes per km strategy as this was not a 10 km race. I managed to maintain this pace until 15 km marker. After that, my pacing and timing was distracted by the incident at some refreshment station. The mineral water bottle was sealed. I found it difficult to open the seal as my hands were sweating. I lost a few minutes at the refreshment station. The organiser should have provided the runners with unsealed water bottle or provide the drinks in a cup. This would be a better option.

After 15 km marker, I felt quite difficult to run under the blazing sun. My felt dehydrated faster. As I was approaching Anderson Bridge, I felt some soreness in my knees. At that time my pace started to slow down towards the finishing line. With 100 metres more to go I was motivated to run as fast as I could towards the finishing line as I was motivated by the music and huge crowd. Finally, I completed my third half marathon in 2 hours 16 minutes 20 seconds (clock time) and 2 hours 16 minutes 11 seconds (chip time). On average my pacing was 6 minutes 27 seconds per km.

This is my new PR based on the actual distance of half marathon. I would come back to Singapore next year for the full marathon if I have the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home