Saturday, February 18, 2006

JOHOR – SINGAPORE 2ND LINK INTERNATIONAL BRIDGE RUN 2005 ON 2/10/2005 BY LIM FANG HAU (POSTED ON PM 25 BLOG ON 4/10/2005)

This was considered my average run. I managed to improve my timing as compared to previous half marathon races. I did not bother to take note of my timing split as I could not judge the distance marker accurately. I just ran according to my normal pace at the beginning and progressively increasing my pace towards the end of the race.
The started the race without any Powerbar but with 5 bananas. The race started at approximately 6.20 am, delayed by 20 minutes due to late arrival of the VIPs. I also ran this time by trying out the plum powder drink as a substitute for isotonic drink. Throughout the race, there were no isotonic drinks but only plain water provided. I lost count of the number of water and sponging station provided but in my opinion the number of stations provided was quite standard.
The race started at Tanjung Kupang toll plaza. Runners had to run pass the immigration check point before proceeding to the 2nd link bridge on the Malaysian side. On the bridge runners had to run along the bridge for about 3km + before making a u-turn somewhere halfway but before the Tuas checkpoint on the Singapore side. I really enjoyed running along the bridge. The morning scenery was scenic and the weather was fine due to rain one day before the race. After making a u-turn, runners had to run back to Tanjung Kupang toll plaza before making a u-turn towards the finishing line (for 10km only) but for the half marathon category runners had to run along the PLUS expressway from Tanjung Kupang toll plaza. The runners had to run for approximately 5km+ before making a u-turn before the Gelang Patah interchange. Then, runners had to run all the way back to the finishing line which was about 6km+. Although, I started at normal pace, I managed to increase my pace progressively. After 10km+ my pace started to increase at a faster rate. There were some runners beginning to slowdown. I managed to overtake those runners one by one until the finishing line.
I managed to finish the race in 2 hr 4 min 45.26 sec, an improvement as compared to previous races of 2:08 in PJ half (under heavy rain condition), 2:23 (under high humidity condition) and 2:07 (in Seremban Half). All the 3 races, I suffered when I came back. My legs and muscles were in pain as if it was going to cramp. Infect I really suffered muscle cramp after the Seremban half marathon after the finishing line. This race, I did not suffer when I came back. My legs could still go on further. I think this must be due to the plum powder drink I took along the race as a substitute for isotonic drink. For your information, I did an 8km easy run at Kiara Park one day before the race after 13 days of laying off from running due to company trip to Korea last weekend. I also took Powergel at the half way mark as the gel was going to expire somewhere in mid October (in fact I did not need the Powergel). I did not managed to get a medal as it was given to top 50 finisher but I came back with a certificate. Overall, I enjoyed this race without any suffering. Looks like there will be no more half marathon for me until next year Nilai half (based on my judgement on the running calendar of 2004/2005). I hope that I’ll be able to finish the Singapore marathon and make it the most memorable one in my life (Singapore marathon as per my view point will be the best ever organised race in South East Asia).