Thursday, May 11, 2006

MT. NUANG DETAILED HIKING REPORT PART 2

We descended from the summit at time 1440. On the way down to Pacat, we met some inexperienced hikers descending at a very slow pace. We had to follow the pace until we had the opportunity to overtake them. I knew that I had to ask Loong to move at a fast pace as we had missed the cut off time by 40 minutes. Loong moved at a fast pace and I kept reminding him to watch out every step he took, as safety was our main concern. The journey down to Pacat was a little bit slow as the surface was slippery and steep. On the way down, I was surprised to see Wen Bing, Chui Miew’s climbing friend; on their way up to camp on the summit of Nuang. I understood that there were around 30 hikers planning to camp on the summit of Nuang and hiking to Janda Baik the next day through Pengasih Summit.

We arrived at Pacat campsite at time 1604, i.e. 6 minutes earlier than our EAT of 1610. We took 6 minutes break to snap photos and to hydrate ourselves. We could not find Steven. Our thinking was that Steven could be waiting for us at Lolo campsite. We decided to descend to Lolo campsite at time 1610. This time, I really had to pressure Loong to go down at a very fast pace as we had to catch up with the time lost. Our final target was to reach the car park before time 1900. Otherwise, it was going to be quite dark for us to see the trail. At certain point, Loong’s leg was getting tired and his mind was getting blurred. I was requested to lead the way and I agreed to his request. I led the way until a certain point whereby I felt comfortable for Loong to be in front and I stayed behind as an anchorman. I kept on reminding Loong to be faster and watch out every step he took carefully as the day was getting darker.

At time 1714,we arrived at Lolo campsite. We were off the scheduled time by 4 minutes. We could not find Steven. Our thinking was that Steven could be waiting for us at the dam. When we reached the dam, we could not find Steven. Steven could be waiting for us at the car park. As the day was getting darker, we decided to descend to the car park at time 1718. Our next target was to reach the car park before time 1900. It started to rain heavily. We had to put on our ponchos when descending. At certain point of time, Loong asked me to be in front but I insisted that I had to be behind to look after him. As Loong was getting tired, I kept on motivating him and told him that the car park was getting nearer. I wanted to overtake him but as an anchorman I had to stay behind to look after him. I had to follow his pace even though he was getting tired and motivate him to go faster. At certain point, Loong was worried whether I was following him but I replied to him that I was following him very closely and watching every footstep he took.

Finally, at time 1841 we finally arrived at the car park. Loong was tired and he had to rest for a while at the bench, i.e. the registration booth. We still could not find Steven at the car park.

Stay tune for third part of the report.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
»

Saturday, June 10, 2006 7:43:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

Saturday, July 22, 2006 5:24:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home