Wednesday, December 28, 2005

ULTRA MARATHON ON 25 DECEMBER 2005 – PART 1

Location: MacRitchie Reservoir, Singapore
Time: 0715 to 1915
Distance covered: 73.5 km (7 laps anti-clockwise)
Distance per lap: 10.5 km
Route condition: Uneven jungle trail with rocks and more than 14 hills (The rocky and uneven surface form 90% of the racing route)
Timing split: 1st 10.5 km: 1 hr 15 min+
2nd 10.5 km: 2 hr 36 min+ (end of lap 2, stopped for approximately 5 minutes for hydration, food and resting)
3rd 10.5 km: 4 hr 6 min + (end of lap 3, stopped for approximately 10 minutes for hydration, food and resting)
4th 10.5 km: 5 hr 56 min + (end of lap 4, stopped for approximately 20 minutes for hydration, food, toilet break and resting)
5th 10.5 km: 8 hr 6 min + (end of lap 5, stopped for approximately 10 minutes for hydration, food, and resting)
6th 10.5 km: 10 hr 12 min + (end of lap 6, stopped for approximately 3 minutes for hydration, food and resting)
7th 10.5 km: 11 hr 50 min 30 sec

Refreshment and water station at 3 km mark and at staring / finishing point.

I wish to thank those who had supported me directly or indirectly for the ultra marathon.

The run was delayed for approximately 15 minutes due to heavy rain. Lap 1 was fine for me as I ran at a very relaxed pace. I was not so familiar with the route and decided to follow the Singapore runners. The surface was quite uneven with rocks and mud due to heavy rain. Distance markers were clearly visible along the entire 10.5 km mark for every 0.5 km. The distance markers are meant for the jungle trekkers in the MacRitchie Reservoir area. There were only two Malaysian Pacesetters runners (i.e. me and Mr. A. P. Tan). After completing the first lap, I saw many runners resting and taking some food supplement but I decided to go ahead for the second lap.

The second lap as fine but I decided not to push so hard due to uneven surface of the rocky trail. After lap 2, I decided to stop for a while for some food and drinks. Then I decided to proceed for lap 3.

At lap 3, my knees and ankles started to feel the pain due to uneven surface. I still managed to continue running at a much slower pace. Whenever I ran up the hilly area I could not run fast. Sometimes I had to walk up at a faster pace. If I were to run, this would aggravate the pain on my ankles. When descending the hills, I ran at a faster pace as this would cover the lost time due to walking up the hill. I could feel the pain when descending the hills. When I decided to ignore the pain and the pain would disappear. After lap 3, I decided to take a short break before continuing for lap 4.

Lap 4 seemed to be fine for me. After running halfway, I was wandering whether I can finish the 42 km distance within 6 hours. I managed to do it in 5 hr 56 min +. I decided to rest for more than 15 minutes to hydrate my self.

After some rest, food and drink, my body condition was still fine. The only problem I had was my sore ankles and knees. My leg muscles were totally fine and no sign of cramps as I suffered in Singapore full marathon after 24 km mark. As I ran the pain would just disappear. After 8 hr 6 min +, I managed to cover 52.5 km. This would mean that I would qualify my self for a finisher certificate. I decided not to give up as there was plenty of time for me to increase the distance. I decided to change my shoe as I got blister on my toes. After the break, I targeted for another 2 laps.

Lap 6 was fine for me but I had to pee halfway in the bushes due to drinking too much water. At that time I was trying to finish lap 6 within 10 hours but I took extra 12 minutes to finish lap 6. After finishing lap 6, my running spirit was boosted by Shirlyn Tay (ST), Tey’s running friend from Singapore. Although ST left the area earlier and I did not manage to meet her, her presence really inspired me to complete the 7th lap. I was given a hydro gel from an unknown person. I was informed by her (sorry, as I did not have the time to get to know you) that the hydro gel was from ST.

Thank you very much ST, I really appreciate your support although I did not manage to meet you on that day.

For lap 7, I was fighting with the time constraint. I was informed by the marshal that I have to run below 1 hr 45 min in order for the 7th lap to be counted. I decided to give this lap the best attempt as I did not want to disappoint those who had supported me directly or indirectly. The funny thing in this lap was that I had to pee in the bushes halfway due to drinking too much water. The day was getting darker and I decided not to slow down although I could feel the pain in my ankles. Finally, I managed to complete the 7th lap in 11 hr 50 min 30 sec.

I was happy as I managed to finish the distance that seems to be impossible for me as a marathon runner. Whatever seems to be impossible became possible on 25 December 2005 (“Nothing is impossible”). Ever wonder why my legs muscle did not feel the cramp for the entire 73.5 km run, this will be revealed in the second part of the report. I’ll provide some useful advice for those who dare to take the risk and those who want to try to run the ultra marathon.

3 Comments:

Blogger Newton said...

amazing feat, congrats!
waiting for your part 2 report

Thursday, December 29, 2005 4:12:00 pm

 
Blogger RunWitMe said...

Hi Jason! Happy New Year 2006. May 2006 brings to you many medals, PRs and lots of joy in RUNNING! Best Wishes!

Saturday, December 31, 2005 12:03:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... »

Saturday, March 03, 2007 12:38:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home