Monday, June 19, 2006

3RD KEDAH 12-HOUR RUN / WALK DETAILED REPORT

This is my 2nd ultra marathon. I have not been racing for the past 3 months since the KLIM 2006. I have not been doing any long runs since 1 month ago. This was not a well-planned race. It was my very last minute decision to go to this race due to busy schedule. Departed from Kuala Lumpur to Alor Setar at time 1130. Arrived at Alor Setar at time 1800. Took a 20 minutes ride via a taxi to Kubang Sepat. Did not have enough time to take my dinner and I just eat some apples and Powerbar before the run.

The race started at time 1900. Each runner is required to run in a loop of 3.5 km. For every completed loop it would be counted as 1 completed loop. The time allowed is 12 hours and runners had to run as many loops as possible. Runners have to run pass the half way check point in order for his or her results to be certified. No short cuts are allowed. 50% of the route is tar road and 50% of the route is untarred road (i.e. sandy road with some rocks, not like the one in MacRitchie Reservoir in Singapore).

I could not remember my timing splits well. All I could remember was:
Lap 1 = 19 min+ (3.5 km completed)
Lap 3 = 1 hr 4 min+ (10.5 km completed)
Lap 6 = 2 hr 34 min+ (21 km completed)
Lap 12 = 6 hr 2 min + (42 km completed)
Lap 18 = 11 hr 50 min 34.74 sec (63 km completed)

For the first 21 km everything was fine as I ran at a very relaxed pace. The weather was quite humid and hot. I was stopped for 7 minutes by a reporter from Guang Ming Daily for an interview. The refreshment provided was not up to expectation (not so much variety as you can find in the Singapore 12-hour run) as you could not expect much from the organiser (having short of man power). The fruits were quickly consumed by the fast runners and I was lucky as I brought my own apples as refreshment.

After completed 21 km, my stomach started to feel hungry. I really wanted some oily food to replenish myself but could not find such food. I had to rely on my Powergel and fruits to replenish my self.

After running more than 10 laps, my legs started to get tired. I had to walk and run for the rest of the 7 km. After 42 km, I decided to change my shoes as I had blister on my toes. I also had some rest and ate some apples and water melon.

At mid night, it started to drizzle. Before completing 49 km, I felt dizzy and giddy when running on the road. I could not run straight (i.e. I ran zig-zag and could not focus properly). My sugar level could be low. After completed 14 laps or 49 km, it started to rain heavily. I decided to rest and ate some refreshment. The weather was cooling and I just doze off without realising it.zzzzzzzzzzzz

When I woke up, I realised that it was time 0415. I had slept for 1.5 hours without realising it. Immediately I rushed to the route to resume my run. After running for 17 laps, I decided to take a break as my legs were tired. When I resumed the run, I felt myself freezing and could not run fast due to the cold and raining weather in the morning. After, 1 km, I managed to regain my momentum. As the 12-hour time limit was approaching, I quickly increase my pace. At the last 1 km, I managed to run as fast as I could to reach the check point. Finally, I managed to finish the 18th lap in 11 hr 50 min 34.74 sec. I managed to get a finisher medal and a certificate of completion (minimum, must cover at least 50 km for men) with name written in Chinese for the first time.

Based on my observation, the overall standard has dropped for this year as compared to last year in terms of timing and distance covered by runners. Most of the route does not have street lights. At certain point, I dare not run at a fast pace as I was afraid of kicking into stones or stepping into holes. My night vision was not so good. When running on the road, most of the time I had to run along the white colour line on the left side of the road for the first 4 hours. There were cars passing by. It was quite risky if I were to run outside the white line or to overtake as the chances of being knocked down by cars is high. Most of the cars were speeding at high speed probably around 70 km/hr to 80 km/hr. According to the organiser, the run for next year may be changed to Jitra whereby runners will run around the lake and passing through a golf course with lights.
Thanks to those who had supported and motivated me for this run.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home