Wednesday, April 05, 2006

BUKIT KUTU ON 26 MARCH 2006

Date: 26 March 2006
Bukit Kutu
Height: 1,100 metres
Location: Kuala Kubu Bahru

I have not been updating my blog for quite some time due to my busy and hectic training schedule.

I decided to go for this trip as I missed mountain climbing for quite some time. My last climb was Mt. Nuang on 10 January 2006. Another reason for me to go was to relax myself and enjoy the nature trail to Bukit Kutu.

Bukit Kutu hiking eve

I have not been running for the past ten days. I was quite busy on my assignment and I had to sacrifice my sleeping hours for the past five days to complete my part of the assignment. I missed my Saturday morning run due to the urgency of completing my assignment. I told myself; by hook or by crook I have to finish my assignment before going to Bukit Kutu. If I could not finish my assignment or I became sick, then I have to sacrifice the trip. I managed to finish my part of the assignment at 2.30 a.m. in the morning on 26 March 2006. Then, I spent half an hour packing my things for the hiking trip before going to bed at 3.00 a.m.

Bukit Kutu hiking day

Woke up at 5.00 a.m. to have my breakfast at home. It was still raining. I was thinking whether the trip will be cancelled. As the hiking trip has been planned, I assumed the trip will proceed as usual unless I received a call from the captain. Departed to Wan Lin’s (the captain) house in Section 17 to meet with others (Mr. Tey, Rho Wen, Chui Miew and Phyllis) at 5.50 a.m. Arrived at Section 17 at 6.00 a.m. and departed to Kuala Kubu Bahru at 6.05 a.m. Arrived at Kuala Kubu Bahru at 7.30 a.m. to have breakfast and later proceeded to the starting point.

The hiking to Bukit Kutu started at 8.30 a.m. The journey at the initial stage involves crossing a few rivers and trekking on the jungle trail. After crossing 5 rivers, we took the left turn at the junction. We got lost for approximately one hour. Luckily, the captain and Wen Bing (another climbing group leader) managed to find the correct way. We should have taken the right turn instead of the left one after the fifth river.

After entering the correct way, the journey became more challenging as we need to move up and down the jungle terrain. The route to the summit was mostly ascending and it requires some physical fitness to hike. At certain point, we had to crawl over the fallen bamboos or tree trunks. I was struggling to move up the ascending terrain. I was told by the captain to throw away my walking stick and try not to rely on it when climbing. I was struggling without the walking stick. When I asked how long to the summit, I was told not to ask too much and just focus on the journey to the summit. Although my legs were getting tired, I told myself to focus on the hike and not think too much about the tiredness. At 12.30 p.m., I managed to reach the summit (approximately 12 minutes behind Mr. Tey, Rho Wen, Chui Miew and Phyllis). On the summit there were two huge rocks to climb. We were told not to climb the rock (the highest point) as it was too dangerous to attempt it. I rested for 15 minutes and had my lunch.

At 12.45 p.m., it suddenly rained. I immediately put on my poncho. We descended from the summit. The surface was quite slippery and we had to be very careful when descending. At 3.15 p.m., we reached the main entrance i.e. the starting point.

After cleaning myself, I discovered that certain part of my legs was bleeding as it was bitten by leaches. We departed from the starting point to Ulu Yam for food and then departed to Petaling Jaya. As compared with Mt. Angsi, Mt. Bunga Buah and Mt. Datuk, Bukit Kutu is moderately challenging especially the terrain towards the summit i.e. after the fifth river. Thanks to Wan Lin for organising the trip and leading us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home