Wednesday, December 07, 2005

MELAKA HISTORICAL CITY INTERNATIONAL MARATHON 2005 BY LIM FANG HAU @ PM 23

This was my second full marathon. There were not many participants in this event. The race started at 4.45 am. I was surprised by the time limit given by the organiser of 4 hours to complete the race. I told myself that this is beyond my limit and I just enjoy my run.

I started with a very relaxed pace of 6 minutes per km. My first 5km timing split was approximately 26 – 30 minutes +. After running for 10km my time was approximately 61 minutes +. I continued my pace with a relaxed pace by slowing down slightly. My timing pace for 21km was 2 hr 17 min +. After that, I started to increase my pace. I managed to overtake some of the runners who overtook me at the beginning. I managed to follow closely some of the Sungai Petani runners behind until 33km mark. By 30km mar, my timing split was 3 hr 15 min+. At this point, I took my first Power Gel. I continued running at usual pace. When coming to 33km mark, I started to hit the wall. My legs were getting tired until I could not run. If I were to run, I would risk the chances of having muscle cramps that could cost me the finishing target.

I decided to use walk and run strategy. I knew that I could improve my personal timing of 5 hr 32 min. I did not want to push much after 33 km and I just enjoyed my slow run. I continued this until the finishing. I only increase my running pace with about 300 metres towards the finishing line. I could not sprint at this time as my legs could feel the pain. I finished my race in 5hr 15 min 37.06 sec.

Overall, the race was quite an enjoyable and a challenging one for me. There were sufficient refreshment stations and sponging station with 8 for refreshment and 7 for sponging. When I reached 40km mark, I could not see the station. I really wanted water to cool myself and for rehydration. I was forced to buy a bottle of 500 ml mineral water from the sundry shop. The weather for the race was fine since the race started quite early in the morning. I found myself running alone most of the time. After 37 km mark, I saw some runners taking a sweeper bus back and at that time I still continue with my walk and run strategy. I applied counter pain for a total of 3 times pain after 33 km mark. I took my plum powder refreshment drink at 40 km mark.

I would not recommend this event to those who enjoyed quality marathon. For those who prefer quality marathon in Malaysia, KLIM is one of the best. For those who just wanted to complete a marathon, you may attempt Melaka marathon at your own risk (if you are a slow runner like me) as you would be running alone most of the time. Although, I improved my timing by approximately 17 minutes, I believe that I can improve further with more running experience in marathon. After this race, I’ll be out of running scene for 2 weeks as I feel quite bored with running. I just need a break from running and I still treat running as my favourite sport. I’ll be back in the running scene in August. From August onwards, I’ll never take part in any 10km races unless it is an outstation race. I may consider running races with distance beyond 11km. I’ll concentrate on half marathon and full marathon races. I’ll only take part in races for 11 km and below if requested to run as a substitute or my company requested me to participate or the race is organised by Pacemakers Network.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home